When you work with chemicals, it's important that you understand the mixtures and what you can and can't use together. A failure to understand the chemicals and what they react to can lead to serious harm or death of yourself or others around you from fumes, explosions or other hazards.
A possible chemical incident is the reason behind a man's death, according to the news. The man, living at a home for people with intellectual disabilities, was part of a cleaning crew that came across an odd chemical odor. The 67-year-old man had been cleaning at a Beatrice factory when he suddenly fell ill alongside a coworker.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration reported that it has opened an investigation into the man's death. He had been exposed and suffered a medical emergency from an unknown chemical. He was receiving CPR when firefighters arrived, and he was rushed to a local hospital in Lincoln. An autopsy will be done to find out the cause of death.
The other worker was able to be treated and released from Beatrice Community Hospital and Health Center. It hasn't been reported what he needed to be treated for, and the identity of the smell has not been released. Everyone in areas where the smell was reported had to leave the facility. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration's preliminary report has indicated that the workers had been mixing cleaning chemicals when the incident occurred.
If you or someone you love is injured or killed in this kind of situation, workers' compensation should provide you with medical coverage as well as additional benefits. Your attorney can help you understand everything you're entitled to.
Source: Lincoln Journal Star, "Beatrice man who died after chemical odor at plant identified," Scott Koperski, Dec. 13, 2016