Depending on your profession, you may find yourself lifting heavy items day after day. While there is nothing wrong with this, you need to realize that it could take a toll on your health.
One of the best things you can do is follow proper lifting technique at all times. This doesn’t guarantee that you will never suffer a back or neck injury, but it definitely helps your case.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Keep a wide base as to give yourself the support you need to make the lift
- Squat down by bending at your knees, as opposed to bending and lifting with your back
- Keep good posture, such as a straight back and eyes ahead
- Hold the item close to your body
- Slowly lift the item by straightening your knees and hips
- Use your feet when you need to change direction, as opposed to twisting your body
- Set down the item by slowly squatting
It’s one thing to know the ins and outs of proper lifting technique, but another thing entirely to keep these points in mind at all times. If you make even one mistake, it could lead to a serious back or neck injury.
If you suffer an on-the-job injury, such as the result of heavy lifting, don’t hesitate to stop what you are doing and call for medical assistance. You should also report the accident and injury to your employer.
By taking the right steps after a workplace back or neck injury, you’ll find it easier to move through the workers’ compensation claims process.
Source: Web MD, “Proper Lifting Technique,” accessed Nov. 17, 2017