Understand Your Rightful Social Security Benefits
If you or a close family member has paid into the Social Security system while working over the years, you may be able to get the financial help you need through some type of income this government-run insurance program offers. Depending on your unique circumstances, you may qualify now or in the near future for Social Security benefits such as:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security retirement income
- Social Security income of one of these types, based on family relationships, such as benefits for:
- The spouse of a Social Security retirement or disability benefits recipient, when that spouse is over age 62
- The spouse, of any age, of a Social Security benefits recipient, when that spouse is caring for a child (under age 16) of the Social Security benefits recipient
- Children of Social Security benefits recipients, if those children are aged 18 or younger (or 19 if in school, or any age if disabled and the child’s disability began before age 22)
- In some cases, stepchildren, grandchildren, step-grandchildren and adopted children of Social Security benefits recipients
- Widows, minor children (and in some cases, parents who had been dependent) after the death of someone who had worked and paid Social Security taxes over a number of years
- Ex-spouses in some cases
As you navigate the Social Security Administration’s system, it may be difficult to understand your rights and know how to gain access to all benefits you are eligible for as soon as you qualify for them. It is wise to consult with a knowledgeable attorney as you begin your Social Security journey, especially if you encounter roadblocks along the way.
After A Workplace Injury Or Any Injury Or Chronic Ailment
Tapping into Social Security Disability benefits can be an especially important part of the total package of financial resources that an injured or otherwise disabled worker (or anyone) may need and qualify for.
If you suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or a spinal cord injury on or off the job, and your medical providers do not expect you to be able to work full time again, you are doing the right thing by exploring all options to enable yourself to cope and maintain a quality lifestyle. It may be time for you to apply for Social Security Disability insurance (SSDI) benefits right away, to be ready to begin collecting them as soon as your circumstances dictate. Being thorough in your search for financial solutions is the right thing for your family, who may care for you, too.
Depending on the details of your case, you may expect to:
- Receive workers’ compensation benefits
- Bring a third-party personal injury claim or lawsuit
- Obtain benefits through a private accident insurance
- Tap into other sources of support such as savings or trust funds
But don’t forget about Social Security income you may also be eligible for. If in doubt, discuss your situation with an attorney as soon as possible.
- If you will qualify for Social Security retirement income soon, it can be helpful to talk over your options about when you can begin receiving benefits and at what age it makes sense for you to apply, depending on your financial situation.
- If you are younger, Social Security Disability benefits may be available for you after the onset of a long-lasting illness or chronic condition. Cancer, paralysis and dementia are a few examples.
Social workers and others who are helping you at this time will naturally have advice and information to offer, but an experienced lawyer on your side may be the most qualified to review the big picture of your financial and legal situation. Understanding your rights through legal counsel can bring peace of mind while moving your application or appeal forward in a timely manner.
Dowd & Corrigan, LLC, Has A Legacy Of Helping; Let Us Help You Tap Into All Social Security Benefits You Qualify For
We welcome the opportunity to answer questions, help you apply or help you bring an appeal after a denial when you may qualify for any type of income through Social Security. Call 800-349-7981 or send an email inquiry to request a consultation at your convenience.