Depending on your profession, you may find yourself using a ladder one day after the next. While there is nothing wrong with this, it’s important to understand the finer details of ladder safety.
These ladder safety tips are a must to follow:
- If you aren’t feeling up to it for any reason, maybe because you are dizzy, don’t attempt to climb a ladder
- Never use a ladder in a rainstorm or high winds
- Wear slip-resistant shoes when using a ladder
- Inspect the ladder before using it to ensure that there are no safety defects
- Choose the right size and type of ladder for the job
- Make sure you place the ladder on firm and level ground
- Only one person should use a ladder at the same time
- Never place a ladder in front of a closed door or in an area that receives high traffic
- Read the safety information before taking your first step
These are the types of ladder safety tips you can follow to prevent trouble. While there is no guarantee that you will never be part of an accident, these go a long way in keeping you safe.
If you are part of a ladder accident, stay where you are and wait for help to arrive. Also, report the accident and your injuries to your employer, as this can help you if you file for workers’ compensation.
Once you understand your injuries and the best type of treatment, it’s time to focus on your legal rights. You may be able to make a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.
Source: American Ladder Institute, “Basic Ladder Safety,” accessed Oct. 24, 2017